Sunday, January 23, 2011

J. Roy Stalcup


For my first post I had to choose J. Roy Stalcup (1903-1990). J. Roy Stalcup was an amazing banjo player from North Carolina that was known for his distinct two finger style. I really got into Stalcup after becoming frustrated trying to learn to play banjo. I could never play clawhammer or frailing style and could only pick with my thumb and forefinger. After a few Google searches I came across Stalcup. Stalcup intrigued me because he really did not fall into the trap that an instrument had to be played in any certain manner. A master of multiple tunings, his rough voice over a slightly out of tune banjo is endearing.

This recording is filled with stories, amazing folk, and a time when songs were learned from family and community and made your own. Stand outs for me are “Stay all Night”, “Back in The Country”, and “Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss”.


No comments:

Post a Comment