Friday, February 18, 2011

When I was 14........







So when I was 14 years old, my 2 favorite bands were Overkill and Exodus. I will never forget my dirtball 14 year old self and a friend showing up to a middle school dance and requesting they put on my casette of Overkill's "fuck you" ep (which had the letters scratched off). They did it and me and my friend decided to push mosh in the middle of this gymnasium floor. God, how idiotic we must have looked-2 fat longhairs bumping into each other and me,of course, eventually falling down (so graceful). Somewhere along the way, I mostly forgot about Overkill through my punk rock/hardcore years (although I did go to see them in 1997 or early 1998 and they were good, but they played too much stuff I didn't know since I fell out of touch with them after Years of decay). Anyways, I've revisited them in the past couple of years and they are still awesome. I'm upping the "fuck you and then some" lp. It's pretty rad, it has the cover of "fuck you" plus the live stuff that was on the original plus some live stuff that wasn't on the original ep (like the sabbath cover). But the raddest thing is the Overkill ep, which in all honesty I had never heard before. It's great heavy metal that's heavy as hell. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it almost sounds like Candlemass (yeah, that heavy) http://www.mediafire.com/?4fa63dlp990pw82

...and now for my most favorite band circa 1988 and 1989 EXODUS!!! Yeah, with age, Fabulous disaster is not as good as Bonded by Blood or even Pleasures of the Flesh in my opinion. But this record will always have a special spot in my heart (as I'm sure is the case for many people my age). I remember there was this show on the local college radio station called WHIPLASH and it was the window to a world that seemed millions of miles away but I wanted to be a part of so badly. I remember hearing Cajun hell and I was sold but then I heard the toxic waltz and I think that may have been the best song I had heard in my life at that time (what young teen isn't a sucker for a gimmicky song?). Anyways, zetro era exodus will always have a special place (and time) in my heart. These days I'm more likely to listen to the first 2 lps than this record or Impact is Imminent but when it comes down to it, Exodus just rules. Anyways......... DO THE TOXIC WALTZ!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmd02tjga4k

No comments:

Post a Comment