Monday, December 20, 2010

The Boys Next Door



It took me a few years but I finally, in the last year or so, have learned to appreciate the genius of Nick Cave. I'm still a little unsure about my feelings concerning his later period solo work (as well as grinderman) but The Birthday Party has quickly become one of my favorite bands, which in turn has lead to me falling in love with their first album released when they were still called The Boys Next Door. For those unfamiliar, "Door Door" was released in 1979 and features a very different side of the band. Here you'll find no awkward rhythms, no squaky guitar and no dark howl and tortured vocals from Cave that became such a large part of their sound just a year later with the release of their second album, instead you see the band at its most poppy playing post punk with (relatively) straightforward songwriting full of poppy hooks coupled with a more subdued (yet still incredible) Nick Crave crooning away. Yes, its definitely not The Birthday Party which may upset some people but i think that's what makes it so great, its one of the better examples of (some incredibly written) 70s punk/post punk.


I can't recommend this album enough, download it now!

DOWNLOAD!



1 comment: